Saturday, February 01, 2003

Beauty is Functional



I have a new office laptop. When I first got it, there was a film of plastic on its cover. It has been more than a month but I have yet to remove it. One day, while shutting down the laptop, I realised the plastic wasn't doing justice to the laptop in the sense that it covered up and "marred" its design. I wondered if I was going to keep it on forever. What am I forever protecting the laptop cover for if I am never going to expose it? It struck me that the mere protection of beauty or anything precious with no use of that which is protected is a total waste of time and effort. Anything beautiful which is shielded from the world loses its essence of being beautiful. Anything beautiful must be functional. By functional, it can be subtle but sure. A painting can inspire for instance. Interesting... this must be why inspiration is always beautiful. The best and most beautiful things in life are functional and free for all- the breeze, the singing of the birds, the cooling rain. JoinMailingList4LatestUpdates/Reply

No comments:

Hopefully Somewhat Enlightening & Entertaining Thoughts... Stuff discovered on the path to the natural unshakable peacefulness of a stone...