Sunday, July 13, 2003

Wake-up Call

I was reading in the subway train. There was a guy standing nearby. He holds a plastic bag- that he keeps banging it onto my knee accidentally. For about 3 times, I shuffled my foot to bang it back a little- just to let him know it's in the way. Each time, he held the bag away in "repentance" but repeated the mistake again shortly after. The fourth time it happened, I grabbed the bag with a hand and gave it a brief but sustained tug- before returning to reading- as if nothing happpened- no signs of anger. Throughout, I did not look up. But from the corner of my eye, I saw him give a hand gesture of apology. I thought it was funny. Sometimes, a lesson of mindfulness can be taught in a sudden Zen way- to stun, to wake someone up.

No comments:

Hopefully Somewhat Enlightening & Entertaining Thoughts... Stuff discovered on the path to the natural unshakable peacefulness of a stone...