Monday, January 13, 2003

The Way



The perfect way knows no difficulties
Except that it refuses to make preferences;
Only when freed from hate and love,
It reveals itself fully without disguise.

-Master Sosan (Shinjin-no-Mei - On Believing the Mind)
__________________________

The twentieth patriarch had said:

"I do not seek the way,
and I do not do the opposite either.

I do not prostrate myself before the Buddha,
but I do not despise him either.

I do not remain seated [meditating] for very long,
but I am not mindless either.

I do not limit myself to a single meal,
but I do not stuff myself either.

I am not satisfied with everything,
but I am not covetous.

When the heart is stripped of all desire,
that is the way."

-The Great Way Is Generous So It Is Neither Difficult Nor Easy

No comments:

Hopefully Somewhat Enlightening & Entertaining Thoughts... Stuff discovered on the path to the natural unshakable peacefulness of a stone...